Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cannes Day 3

I got myself to the Palais early this morning to attend a workshop that was supposed to give you some tools to cope with conflicts arising between creatively wired and non-creatively wired people. I would've benefitted more if I'd worked in the industry before as they talked about client meetings and briefs, things I've only read about, not experienced.  Despite feeling unexperienced, at the end of it I felt I learned some valuable communication tools for breaking down a creative idea into its pieces so others can understand. It was one of my favorite things at the festival so far.

Then I went to a master class, a rather contradictory master class.  Mother Collective tried to tell us "How to Avoid being a Douche in the Business."  What they actually talked about was how you need to figure out what kind of job environment will make you happy and to stop thinking about labels so much. I thought framing it through a douchiocity lens was a little silly. They tried to say that people are douches when they are missing happiness, that they try to make up for it with fancy cars and cool clothes and pretending to look happy when they aren't. But this model didn't hold up well because they only explained it at the beginning and after that they just talked about all the great work they did and how it made them happy. I think sitting on a stage and talking about how nice and good you are is actually a little douche-like. I wish they hadn't framed it from the douche standpoint and had just said - "this is how we found happiness, maybe it will work for you."

Then I went to a seminar (trying to cover all my bases on how I'm intaking information) put on by Innocean: Art and Design - East meets West. It was formatted like a conversation between a car designer and an artist. I had a lot of trouble paying attention because no one was addressing the audience, only the other person. It was also not organized much, it flowed like a conversation, because it was, but it was a conversation I could not participate in. I had trouble relating it to my life because I'm neither a professional artist nor a car designer.

Then I went to the forum Liquid Creativity: IAB Secrets of the Mobile Superstars. Before it started nearly every head in the room was bent down to their smartphone or tablet. It was interesting to hear about all of it, though I wish they hadn't used so much lingo.  All in all though, I enjoyed learning about the ability to tailor campaigns or programs to individuals using mobile. 

Now I'm off to play with some Legos at another workshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment